Paper Planes Business

 My first sign of entrepreneurship was at the early age of four (4) while on the kinder garden or just grade 1, this is back in Venezuela, Caracas 1994. Me and my cousins were all learning at the same primary school called Do-Re-Mi.

For some reason I liked to do planes made of paper and I was doing them slim in order to fly further and faster, so at certain point other kids started to see and compare their paper planes with the performance of mine, and some of them would ask me to make one for them. After one or two free airplanes for the closest friends, then my thought was that of providing a service and selling paper planes of different kinds and different outcomes, for example a plane that goes very fast, other plane that flies slowly and stays in the air longer. I did know in details what shape or fold to do on paper so that the outcome was as expected. So I started selling and this repeated for several days on the lunch time or during the break time of school.
For a while everything seemed to be going perfectly in my early times, any earning I was collecting it under the matters in my room. Until one day the maid we had at home lift the matters while cleaning and found my precious possession of pure cash, then she shouted calling to my mother to see what she have found. Once my mother came to see, she was also surprised and intrigue on how his four years old boy had a bunch of cash under the matters. So I explained the business I had running during break times at the primary school, to my surprise my mother asked me to stop doing this immediately and then that I was going to get a portion of the cash to buy candies and she was going to take the rest, but with the promise not to do it again.
Notice that the relevant part of this memory is that those kids at school out of excitement and expecting a great paper plane, they were giving me their lunch money, so Imagine some of those kids didn’t have lunch for few times, because of my early age I was not aware of that.



Comments